Five Toxic Foods to Avoid Feeding Pets
May 02 2020

Alcohol

Pets are attracted to leftover and discarded drinks such as cups of wine, beer, and sangria. Due to the contents of the alcohol, it is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, and body temperature. Animals who have ingested alcohol can experience seizures and also respiratory failure. Food items containing alcohol or yeast may also cause a similar effect.


Fat Trimmings and Bones


Food that contains meat fat that a human didn’t eat as well as bones, may cause pancreatitis in dogs. Giving a dog a bone may be natural but dependent on the dog it can choke on it and also splinter and cause obstruction or lacerations in your pet’s digestive system. Always make sure when throwing away these items that you properly seal your trash can and also ask other family members or friends not to discard these items on the ground during functions at your house.


Fatty Foods


Food items that are high in fat when ingested by a pet can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Certain breeds are more susceptible to being affected by Pancreatitis if ingested. Always remember not to share fast food leftover or food that is cooked in grease with your pet such as hot dogs, fried chicken, fries, ribs, burgers, and also pork chops. Always make sure when throwing away these items that you properly seal your trash can to avoid your pet from getting into and ingesting these harmful food


Onions and Garlic


Onions are popular in cooking and are used frequently on fast food items or in appetizers. Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. When pets ingest onions, it causes a condition known as hemolytic anemia which damages the red blood cells. The toxicity from onion can cause your pet's red blood cells in your pets’ body to burst.

 Garlic, chives, and leeks are also poisonous to both dogs and cats. These ingredients are five times more potent than onions. Other symptoms that may arise from the ingestion of these substances are lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. Onion and garlic poisoning symptoms may not be apparent for several days. Immediate veterinary care is recommended.


Raw Meat and Fish

Raw meat and raw fish may contain bacteria that when ingested by your pet may cause food poisoning. Always keep raw fish and meat in areas where your pets cannot get to it and dispose of it properly. Certain kinds of fish may contain a parasite that causes "fish disease." If not treated, the disease can be fatal within 2 weeks. The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill the parasite and protect your pet.

 

 

Thanks for Reading 😀